Friday 19 October 2007

The louder you scream the faster you go...


Last week the annual Hull Fair arrived. It is the largest travelling fair in Europe and it has become a tradition in Hull. http://www.hullfair.net/ui/historyhome.htm this site has some great facts.

I remember going to Hull Fair when i was a small girl and the magic and excitement as October drew closer was all me and my friends could talk about. Daring each other to go on the biggest ride and winning a goldfish in a plastic bag full of water on the side shows. The latter got banned as it was cruel, many of the fish ended up dumped because there was nowhere to put them while the kids still wanted to ride the roundabouts.

My favourite rides were the Speedway, standing up against the bar as it sped around and around, The Waltzers spinning cars till you was dizzy and sick, and with no safety restraints! Health and Safety was not as keen in the 1970's as they are today!

This year when i went i thought how i had changed, instead of getting excited to be going on the rides i was more excited to be taking the pictures, jeez i suppose that tells me I'm getting old and boring!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: