Saturday 24 May 2008


In the far corner of my plot I had an area that had been neglected and used last year as a bit of a dumping ground for lawn clippings, pruning's and leaves, after i had gotten out the old branches that hadn't rotted down i was left with the most workable dark rich soil, in fact the best bit of soil in the garden. I decided to use this as my potato patch and 10 days ago, in went 20 well chitted Kestrel seed potatoes.


Because i am working on a heavy clay soil with crap drainage, in wet weather its waterlogged in dry weather it bakes hard and deep cracks appear on the surface. My long term plan is to grow most stuff in raised beds, but there's still loads to do and i reckon it will be a bit hit and miss this year as to how successful my growing efforts will be as i am having to put anything else i want to grow straight in the ground, with some exceptions such as the cucumbers going into grow bags

No comments: